Review - Mr Darcy's Obsession by Abigail Reynolds

Cross posted from The Pemberley Library

I'm a recent fan but I am so obsessed by Pride & Prejudice that I'm of the belief that I could happily read anything that even hints at being a retelling, variation, vagary, etc. since the original was over too soon. It's fitting that my first adventure into the world of P&P fanfiction  is titled Mr Darcy's Obsession and is authored by Abigail Reynolds.

What a book! I loved it. Slightly different from the original as they fork apart around the time of the Rosing's meeting but the beloved characters were just as I remembered them with a few new names thrown in for good measure. I'm not really familiar with the sub-genres yet but I think this one might be a 'What-if' and the story follows what would happen if Darcy had never been able to propose and Elizabeth's father had died, scattering the sisters and their mother to cope as best they can.

I wasn't sure what to expect as I'm still not used to how things veer off from the original but if they're all like this one then I'll be lapping them up! I loved Darcy and his attempts to meet Elizabeth, I loved the misunderstandings, I loved the new setting and most of all I loved the outcome.

Since reading P&P I've watched both the BBC drama with Colin Firth and the movie with Matthew MacFadyen and loved them both in their own ways and I'm not sure which Darcy is my favourite. Reading this I pictured Colin Firth as Mr Darcy so perhaps he'll be my guy when reading the FF's. Suits me! Can't wait to build up my library with more of the same...